VP, Inclusion and community relations
Updated: April 16, 2018
Applications Close*: May 4, 2018
*subject to change w/o notice
Position: VP, Inclusion and Community Relations
Status: Full Time, Exempt
Reports To: CEO
Reporting to the CEO and working closely with the VP of Community Investment, the VP of Inclusion and Community Relations serves as a key leadership team member and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting the EC. This position is responsible for establishing and growing key relationships with other entrepreneur support organizations, ecosystem builders, diversity partners, and media in order to further the EC’s mission and vision.
In this role, you will lead the cross-organizational diversity and inclusion initiative with the responsibility of implementing strategic initiatives that ensure the EC’s commitment to being an inclusive organization. You will also be the main point of contact for community Navigation partners, managing consistent communication, engagement and a presence in the Nashville community. This role will nurture a strong network among media and press in order to support organizational efforts to increase awareness.
Responsibilities (included but are not limited to):
Community and Public Relations
- Establish consistent and effective communication with partners, both verbal and written
- Leadership and main point of contact for significant community partnerships
- Create exponential community relations strategy that will align with needs and goals of other EC departments
- Remain abreast of trends in local community and broader networks on both inclusion and ecosystem building efforts
- Attend, assist, and represent the EC at various key events
- Develop and execute media relations strategy, seeking high-level placements in print, broadcast and online media in cooperation with the marketing department
- High level of intentionality with building and managing key press and media relationships and outreach
- Manage inquiries and create necessary content including community presentations
- Participation in grant process including contribution of information and insights for grant application and reporting
- Facilitate on-boarding and maintenance of Navigation Partners, driving growth and satisfaction of the resource
- Meet and form relationships with newly established entrepreneurial organizations in Nashville
- Maintain upkeep and growth of ecosystem partner data at a macro and micro level
- Organize consistent convenings and information gathering with pilot navigation partner group
- Work closely with the EC product manager over Navigation
Diversity and Inclusion Initiative
- Manage the Diversity Scholarship programs with support from the Marketing and Product departments
- Organize meetings and events for initiative partners and sponsors to engage with the mission and scholars
- Lead Diversity and Inclusion advisory board communications and meetings, utilizing board members for ongoing impact to the initiative
- Drive growth of diversity among internal stakeholders by connecting with leaders and organizations in underserved markets
- Lead monthly demographic data intake (members, advisors, board, hiring pipeline) and reporting, identifying trends that inform next actions
The ideal candidate is comfortable representing an organization and its vision to external stakeholders with the insight and creativity to connect dots in order to achieve goals while maintaining strong relationships.
- Outgoing and dynamic personality
- An “A” player that delivers results
- Strong communications skills, both verbal and written
- Prioritizes follow-through and timely responses
- Resourceful and efficient with experience operating in a small and growing organization with limited resources. Experience in not-for-profit or bootstrapped environment preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills including effective communication, active listening, group facilitation, public speaking, empathy and conflict management
- Adept at navigating and balancing diverse relationships
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- Ability to think, apply and execute Lean Methodology in your work
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 3 years of experience leading community initiatives or project management
- Familiarity with Nashville’s entrepreneurial and business communities preferred
- Proficient in various project management software, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Apple Keynote, and Google Apps.
This is a full-time exempt position and based in Nashville, TN.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Comprehensive benefits package, including medical and life insurance with dental, vision and disability options. Plus a 401(k) matching option.
- Flexibility in how work is accomplished with respect for work/life balance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not unlawfully discriminate in employment. No question on the application is used for the purpose of limiting or excluding any applicant from consideration for employment on a basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law. Equal access to employment, services, and programs is available to all persons. Those applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation to the application and/or interview process should notify a representative of the organization at firstname.lastname@example.org.